Photos by Dayris Mtz
When I was little, I thought that I would feel different after turning a certain age or reaching a big milestone. I was pretty sure that once I was done with elementary school I would feel like a different person, but once I was done with the sixth grade, nothing changed. It feels silly to say it now, but I really thought turning thirteen would be when I would feel different or something would change because I would officially become a teenager, I hate to break it to you but nothing really changed. Of course things changed overtime in my life, but not in the way little me thought they would. “How does it feel like to be 16?” – would ask my friends and family… “How does it feel to be 18?”. “I don’t know about you, but I’m feeling 22” – said Taylor Swift, I keep wondering what she felt like at 22.
Fast forward to today and I still feel like that girl in elementary school, I’m still me. I really believed that I would turn into a different person, but I’m just a different version of myself. “How does it feel like to be 23?” – you ask. Well, it’s my first day as a 23 year old, so I don’t know how it feels like, I just know that over 23 years I have learned a thing or two, some very serious stuff and a lot of silly things as well, and I want to share it with you.
- Trust your gut.
- Never settle for anything.
- Talking to plants has an impact on how they develop.
- People are awful.
- People are wonderful.
- Tea tastes better in Japan.
- You cannot change people.
- Yes, Disneyland is the happiest place on earth.
- Literally no one cares, you do you.
- Filming a 5 minute short can take 3 days or more.
- It’s true that your high school friends will be your friends forever.
- Giant Ferrero Rocher’s are hollow.
- A Birkin bag is more expensive than a house.
- Urban Outfitters sells “ice cream for astronauts”.
- Red lipstick looks good on everyone, you just have to find the right shade for you.
- You can know the true nature of a person based on how they treat animals.
- It’s okay to regret how you dressed on your teenage years (and cringe at it in the middle of the night).
- Always have a black long sleeved shirt in your closet.
- Blair Waldorf was a little f*cked up, but that’s what made her unique.
- Keep all the handwritten letters and notes you ever get.
- Lorde’s real name is Ella.
- Japan is one of the safest countries in the world.
- Everything happens for a reason.
Now please enjoy these pictures of me, making a fool of myself because it’s my party and I can do whatever I want.
Shop the Post